DIY Antifungal Tampon to Fight Yeast Infections
Did you know that 75% of women will get a vaginal yeast infection at least one time in their lives and more than 50% will have a recurring episode? This isn't all that surprising considering candida thrives on acid environment created by the consumption of processed foods, too much coffee, too much sugar and too many antibiotics. This breeding ground for candida often needs a reset and this DIY antifungal tampon can help with that.
Make Your Own DIY Antifungal Tampon to Combat Vaginal Yeast Infections!
In addition to using known antifungal essential oils (lavender and tea tree), you'll notice the combination of yogurt and honey. Several research studies have proven that this honey-yogurt one-two punch is quite effective at fighting candida.
For example, in 2015 an Iranian study was published evaluating how 70 women with vaginal infections responded to creams made up of yogurt and honey compared to clotrimazole, the popular antifungal medication. Outperforming the medical treatment by large margins, the researchers put it this way, “This study indicated that the therapeutic effects of vaginal cream made up of yogurt and honey is not only similar with clotrimazole vaginal cream but more effective in relieving some symptoms of vaginal candidiasis!” (source)
- 2 drops lavender
- 2 drops tea tree
- ½ tsp raw honey
- 1 tsp organic, plain yogurt (no flavoring, no sugar added)
- 2 tsps unrefined coconut oil
- Cotton tampon (unbleached and organic if possible)
- Poise pad
- Mix essential oils and coconut oil together in a glass bowl.
- Roll tampon into mixture to absorb the contents and insert into vagina before going to bed.
- Wear a poise pad or similar alternative to absorb discharge.
- Take out first thing in the morning and clean vagina in shower.
- Repeat every night for one week.