Essential Ingredients and Products for a Healthy Home
Giving your home a “make over” to support a new healthy lifestyle can seem daunting at first. Usually, you’ll quickly discover that you need to replace many of the staple pantry items considered unsafe like othite, bleached sugar and flour. Then you’ll notice that you need new kitchen gadgets to prepare all those fresh ingredients and DIY projects on your to-do list. After you’ve made over the kitchen, you start to think about body products, household cleaners, getting rid of plastic, and all kinds of stuff!
Rest assured that this is completely normal, so don’t get stressed out about the transition. Take it all in baby-steps, focusing on the lowest hanging fruit. As you do what’s easiest and most affordable to implement at first, you’ll find that you can master the basics quite quickly. Then, next think you know, you’re picking fruit on top of the tree that you once thought was impossible to do!
This, my friend, is all part of the adventure, and our prayer is that by sharing our experience and this list of our favorite products, you’ll be inspired and encouraged on your own journey.
Our Favorite Products by Category
While our home is far from perfectly green and clean, (we’re still learning to make more and more of our own products) we’re pretty proud of how far we’ve come.
To check out what we use, scroll down for these categories:
- Must Have Items for Your Home
- Books & Resources
- Supplements & Natural Remedies
- When You Don’t Have Time to DIY
- Our Favorite Kitchen Gadgets
- DIY & Aromatherapy Tools
- Carrier Oils & Body Care Ingredients
- Pantry Goods for a Healthy Lifestyle
Must-Have Items to Stay Healthy
Humans can live without food for a few weeks, without water for a few days and without air for just a few minutes. It’s important to put things into perspective to see how absolutely vital these are to our existence, and it should motivate us to provide our bodies with the very best of what’s available to us within our individual budgets. Because of this, I have found that these items are an absolute MUST if you want to minimize toxins, reduce your risk of developing disease and maintain a strong healthy profile:
- Aroma2Go – The best best aromatherapy supplies on the market, period. Their USB ultrasonic diffuser is the coolest thing, and all of their products are designed in Belgium. This gives their products a sophisticated “Euro” look and you’re going to fall in love with their diffusers, wraps, cases and necklaces! To welcome you to my website, I have a gift for you: use the coupon code DRZ10 to get 10% off your entire first purchase!
- Thrive Market – This is an online membership like Costco for health lovers! All of your favorite health products in one place for a great price, delivered to your door. Super convenient! Dr. Z tribe members get a FREE gift for signing up for their 30-day trial! You can choose either a free jar of coconut oil, gluten-free coconut flour, jar of almond butter, non-toxic laundry detergent, jar of avocado mayo, pound of organic cacao powder super food, or free jar of raw honey. Decision, decisions!! 🙂
- Annmarie Skin Care – Your skin is a sponge, and the chemicals in conventional skin care products contain toxins that have been linked to a myriad of health conditions. My friends at Annmarie are offering $10 sample kits + $10 coupon just for the Dr. Z tribe!
- Wholetones Healing Frequencies Music – Using sound frequency to heal the mind and body is becoming a popular topic in the research community. Having been used for thousands of years in the form of ritual chants, this Christian-based music therapy has helped thousands of people by addressing the root cause of disease.
- Ceramic Cookware – Don’t believe it, teflon is still bad for you! Glass is best, but it’s way too hard to find, too expensive and too fragile. Ceramic is the most cost-effective, safest and durable solution! Use the code DRZ10 or click HERE to get a 10% off coupon!
- Shared Health Care Coverage – If you’re like me, you’re completely fed up with the current health care insurance model. Thankfully, I was introduced to Samaritan Ministries (a Biblical, non-insurance approach to health care needs) a while back. I cannot begin to tell you how much of a blessing this organization has been for my family and I, and I whole-heartedly refer them to all my friends and family. Please be sure to tell them that I referred you!
- Air Purifier – Far too many people take for granted that every breath we take will either give us Abundant Life-giving gasses like nitrogen and oxygen, or fill our lungs with pollutants. Make sure you get a purifier that filters out mold and other allergens!
Books & Resources
As you grow in your understanding of Biblical health, your library will certainly grow with you! It’s exciting to see all of the books that are available to us today, but things can get quickly overwhelming for the beginner. To help narrow down the vast selection, here are some favorites that will prove to be valuable resources to help you master all 7 Key Areas of the Abundant Life.
Living a balanced life in all 7 areas is the true definition of “Biblical Health!”
- Spiritual Abundance – Having a thriving relationship with your Creator.
- Physical Abundance – Maintaining a strong, healthy body.
- Mental Abundance – Being intellectually sound and having the Mind of Christ.
- Emotional Abundance – Being at peace and enjoying a balance of healthy feelings.
- Financial Abundance – Having enough to provide for your family and to be BIG givers.
- Occupational Abundance – Truly enjoying the work of your hands.
- Social Abundance – Fostering deep, mutually beneficial relationships with friends, family and people that you encounter every day.
- The Truth About Essential Oils and Cancer
- Heal Your Gut With Essential Oils
- Using God’s Medicine for the Abundant Life: An Evidence-Based Approach to Essential Oils
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Miracle Health System
- Bragg Back Fitness Program
- Bragg Healthy Lifestyle: Vital Living to 120!
- Build Powerful Nerve Force: Cure for the Dull Dragged-Out Hopeless, Helpless Life
- Build Strong Healthy Feet: Banish Aches & Pains
- Healthy Heart: Keep Your Cardiovascular System Healthy & Fit at Any Age
- Super Power Breathing: For Super Energy, High Health & Longevity
- The Miracle of Fasting: Proven Throughout History for Physical, Mental, & Spiritual Rejuvenation
- Vegetarian Health Recipes: For Super Energy & Long Life to 120!
- Water: The Shocking Truth That can Save Your Life
A – Z Health Resources
- Bible Cure Series (Don Colbert, MD)
- Essential Oil Safety: A Guide for Health Care Professions 2nd Edition
- Food Allergies and Food Intolerance: The Complete Guide to Their Identification and Treatment
- Pat Crocker’s Recipe and DIY Series (Including How to Preserve, Healing Herbs, Juicing Bible, Smoothie Bible, etc.)
- Prescription for Nutrition Healing
- The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy
- The Encyclopedia of Medical Breakthroughs and Forbidden Treatments
- The Herbal Medicine-Maker’s Handbook: A Home Manual
- Truth About Cancer: The Quest for the Cure
Other Biblical Health Resources
- Dr. Z’s Morning Refill: One-Minute Pick-Me-Up for the Soul Devotional
- Dave Ramsey’s Complete Guide to Money: The Handbook of Financial Peace University
- How to Win Friends and Influence People
- My Utmost for His Highest
- Power of Prayer Series (Stormie Omartian)
- Supernatural Childbirth
- The Bait of Satan, 20th Anniversary Edition: Living Free from the Deadly Trap of Offense
- The Bondage Breaker®: Overcoming *Negative Thoughts *Irrational Feelings *Habitual Sins
- The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don’t Work and What to Do About It
- The Power of Positive Thinking
- Torrey’s How to Pray
- Torrey’s New Topical Textbook
- Torrey’s The Power of Prayer
- Victory Over the Darkness: Realize the Power of Your Identity in Christ
Supplements and Natural Remedies
Like the Bible says, “The leaves of the trees are the healing of the nations,” and we have personally experienced wonderful results when using these natural remedies and supplements to keep our family healthy and strong! There are few products I recommend in this category as we’ve found most supplements to be useless – riddled with harmful fillers and manufactured in such a way that your body cannot properly absorb the ingredients. Essentially, most people pee and poop their money away because they’re taking supplements that are undigested!
These items, however, will not only give your body essential nutrition that you cannot get in your normal diet, they have been formulated to ensure you benefit from taking them!
- Beta Glucan
- Essential Oils (To find out how to best to choose a brand, CLICK HERE)
- JointScript (Anti-Inflammatory – for joint health)
- Lypo-Spheric Vitamin C
- HashiScript (For thyroid health)
- Liposomal Turmeric Extract
- Matcha Green Tea
- Super Colon Cleanse (Capsules)
- Super Colon Cleanse (Powder)
- Thyroid Greens (Goitrogen-FREE to support thyroid health)
When You Don’t Have Time to DIY
If you’re like most people, you have all the best intentions in the world, but the 24 hours you have in a day just doesn’t cut it sometimes when you’re trying to be Super Dad & Wonder Mom. When you’re under a time-cruch and can’t make all of your home and body products by hand, these are some good items you can trust. This is where your Thrive Market Membership will come handy – plus, the prices are great!
- Annmarie Skin Care ($10 sample kits + $10 coupon for Dr. Z fans!)
- Herbal Foot Salve
- Herbal Salve (Ancient Soother)
- Herbal Salve (Balm of Gilead)
- Herbal Salve (Calendula Comfrey )
Products on Amazon
- Baby Hair Conditioner
- Baby Powder
- Baby Shampoo & Body Wash
- Body Wash – African Black Soap
- Kid-Friendly Lice Prevention Shampoo & Conditioner
- Kid-Friendly Lice Prevention Conditioning Spray
- Lotion – Frankincene & Myrrh
- Lotion – Shea Butter
- Shampoo (Aubrey’s Organics)
- Soap – Bar
- Soap – Liquid (Black Soap
- Soap – Liquid (Unscented)
- Soap – All-Purpose (Kids)
- Witch Hazel Toner (Alcohol-free)
Products at Thrive
- Baby Wash (Earth Mama Angel Baby)
- Conditioner (Desert Essence)
- Hair Styling (Giovanni)
- Shampoo (Desert Essence)
- Soap – Bar (Auromere Ayurvedic Products, Dr. Bronner’s & Nubian Heritage)
- Soap – Liquid (Dr. Bronner’s)
- Toothpaste (Auromere Ayurvedic Products, Dr. Bronner’s, Redmond Clay
When you’re using fresh produce in your recipes, baking your own bread, and making your own juice you’ll want some high quality kitchen tools! We love these particular small appliances and gadgets and have found multiple uses for each!
- Citrus Juicer
- Food Processor
- Immersion Blender
- Juicer – small
- Juicer – large
- Loaf Pans
- Magic Bullet
- Xtrema Ceramic Cookware
We’re asked a lot about our favorite essential oils diffuser and the bottles, jars, and dispensers we talk about in our DIY recipes. This list is a compilation of some of our most-used items!
DIY & Aromatherapy Tools
- Cobalt Glass Bottles with Pump Tops – 4oz
- Cobalt Glass Bottles with Stainless Steel Pumps – 8oz
- Cobalt Glass pump Bottle with Chalkboard Labels – 8oz
- Coloring – Brown (Cinnamon Powder)
- Coloring – Light Bronze (Turmeric Powder)
- Coloring – Red (Beet Powder)
- Diffuser Reeds
- Enteric Coated Capsules
- Essential Oil Diffuser
- Glass Foaming Soap Dispenser Pump
- Glass Jar – 4oz
- Glass Roller Bottle – 1/8 ounce
- Glass Roller Bottle – 5ml
- Glass Salve Jar – 2oz
- Glass Spray Bottle – 2oz
- Glass Spray Bottle – 4oz
- Glass Spray Bottle – 16oz
- Inhaler Tubes
- Locking Amber Spray Bottle
- Mason Jar Foaming Soap Dispenser Top
- Mason Jars for Storage
So, you’re using pure essential oils and you’re ready to start making some of your own DIY body care products! You want to be as careful about your carrier oils and other ingredients as you are with your essential oils. These are some of our personal favorites.
Carrier Oils + Body Care Ingredients
- All-Purpose Carrier Oil
- Apricot Kernel Oil
- Argan Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Camellia Seed Oil
- Carrot Seed Oil
- Evening Primrose
- Fractionated Coconut Oil
- Grapeseed Oil
- Hazelnut Oil
- Hemp Seed Oil
- Jojoba Oil
- Meadowfoam Oil
- Sweet Almond Oil
- Sunflower Oil (Organic)
- Aloe Vera Gel (fresh frozen, 100% organic and pure))
- Aloe Vera Gel (99.75% organic and pure)
- Bath Crystals
- Bayberry Wax
- Bentonite Clay
- Candelilla Wax
- Dr. Bronner’s Liquid Castile Soap
- Epsom Salt
- Guar Gum
- Kokum Butter
- Mango Butter
- Shea Butter – unrefined
- Vegetable Glycerin
- Vitamin E
- Yellow Beeswax
- Zinc Oxide Powder
If you’ve read Mama Z’s Kitchen Makeover Guide you know we have some food allergies and health concerns that require we’re a little extra picky about our ingredients. My wife has created this list of healthy substitutions for every day pantry items. From gluten free flour to dark chocolate chips, you’ll be baking healthy goodies in no time!
- All Purpose Gluten Free Flour
- Almond Butter
- Almond Flour
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Baking Powder – aluminum free
- Baking Soda
- Bragg Liquid Aminos
- Bulletproof Coffee
- Cacoa Powder
- Chia Seeds
- Coconut Flour
- Coconut Milk (Native Forest – Organic, Unsweetened)
- Coconut Sugar/Crystals
- Egg Replacer
- Enjoy Life Mini Chips – dairy-free, gluten-free, and soy-free
- Flax Meal
- Gluten Free Quick Oats
- Grade C Maple Syrup
- Lilly’s Dark Chocolate Chips – vegan
- Liquid Stevia
- Manuka Honey
- Mason Jars for Storage
- Mayonnaise (Avocado Oil)
- Organic Coconut Oil
- Organic Fair Trade Sugar
- Organic Vanilla Bean Powder
- Pink Himalayan Salt
- Powdered Stevia
- Psyllium Husk Fiber
- Ujido Matcha Green Tea
- Vanilla Liquid Stevia
- Vegetable Boullion