I love serving my homemade Lemon Tea Bread along side my Italian dishes. Although lemon tea bread is often paired with afternoon tea, this bread has just enough sweetness to enjoy in place of a dessert after dinner.
Homemade Lemon Tea Bread Recipe
- ½ cup organic butter or coconut oil, softened
- 1 cup coconut crystals or ½ cup agave or honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1¼ cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
- ½ cup coconut or almond milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon rind, divided
- 6 drops of lemon essential oil
- 1 cup natural confectioners' sugar (take 1 cup honey granules or coconut crystals and blend in food processor with 1-2 teaspoons arrowroot or non GMO organic cornstarch)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon coconut crystals or ½ tablespoon agave or honey
- Beat softened organic butter or coconut oil at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Gradually add 1 cup granulated sweetener or ½ cup liquid sweetener, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time.
- Stir together gluten-free flour, baking powder, and sea salt; add to organic butter mixture alternating with milk, beating at low speed just until blended, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon lemon rind and essential oil.
- Spoon batter into greased and floured 8x4 inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center of bread comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing bread.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Stir together powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth; spoon evenly over top of bread, letting excess drip down sides.
- Stir together remaining 1 tablespoon lemon rind and 1 tablespoon sweetener; sprinkle on top of bread.
The lemon essential oil really brings out the flavor. If you prefer your bread to be a little less sweetened, then feel free to skip the last step and leave off the glazed drizzle.
What is your favorite bread recipe to bake?