Vegan Tapioca Pudding
The star of this delicious and healthy vegan tapioca pudding is tapioca pearls. Do you know where they come from?
Cassava or yucca is a nutty flavored, starchy root of the spurge family (Euphorbiaceae). It originates from South America and you may be surprised to know tapioca pearls are made from it. This sweet, crunchy underground tuber has been a popular edible root for centuries in many parts of Africa, Asia and South America; it is an indispensable part of the carbohydrate diet of millions of inhabitants living in these regions.
Here's an article where you can learn more about The Amazing Cassava Root.
Vegan Tapioca Pudding Recipe
- In saucepan, bring water to boil.
- Use whisk or fork to add tapioca (this prevents them from sticking together.
- Let the pearls cook for about 17 minutes or until they have lost their opaque appearance stirring with a whisk.
- The mixture should be slightly thickened and the liquid cloudy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the honey granules, salt, and milk.
- When the tapioca has finished cooking, whisk in milk mixture, stir, and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Place contents in a greased glass casserole pan at 350 degrees and cook for one and a half hours stirring every 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool, serve, and enjoy!
How about you? Do YOU have a favorite tapioca pudding recipe you'd like to share?
Here are some more of my favorite dessert recipes you can try.