Your Daily Proverb – Day 30
Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is His name, and what is His Son’s name, if you know?
The names that God uses to refer to Himself in Scripture help us begin to understand His infinite characteristics through the lens of our finite minds. Like parents who communicate to their young children in ways that sound elementary to other adults, God our Father speaks to us “at our level.” Scattered throughout His Word are glimpses of His awesome sovereignty, and complete divinity:
- Adonai (Lord, Master)
- El Elyon (The Most High God)
- El Olam (The Everlasting God)
- El Shaddai (Lord God Almighty)
- Elohim (God)
- Jehovah Jireh (The Lord Will Provide)
- Jehovah Mekoddishkem (The Lord Who Sanctifies You)
- Jehovah Nissi (The Lord My Banner)
- Jehovah-Raah (The Lord My Shepherd)
- Jehovah Rapha (The Lord That Heals)
- Jehovah Sabaoth (The Lord of Hosts)
- Jehovah Shalom (The Lord Is Peace)
- Jehovah Shammah (The Lord Is There)
- Jehovah Tsidkenu (The Lord Our Righteousness)
- Qanna (Jealous)
- Yahweh (Lord, Jehovah)
As we see in the Bible over and over again, the meaning of someone’s name can literally shape the course of history! Case in point: Jesus!
Christ’s name is very telling – not only of His purpose on Earth, but also of a critical truth people must embrace to reach eternal life. Written in an ancient Greek language that we no longer use, the New Testament writers referred to Christ as Iēsous. Born a Jew, His Hebrew birth name was actually Yahshua – coming from the name Yĕhowshuwa (“Joshua”) – meaning “Jehovah is salvation.”
Just think of this for a moment…
Every time someone addressed Jesus or spoke His name, they were speaking an Abundant Life truth!
- Mary: “Yahshua [Jehovah is salvation], can you please put your clothes away?”
- Joseph: “Yahshua [Jehovah is salvation], can you hand me that hammer?”
- James (Brother): “Yahshua [Jehovah is salvation], do you want to play a game with me?”
- Rabbi: “Test time! Yahshua [Jehovah is salvation], please recite your memory verse?
- At the Cross: “And above His head they put up the charge against Him, which read, ‘This is Yahshua [Jehovah is salvation], the King of the Jews.’ (Mathew 27:37)
If the intent was good, bad or indifferent it didn’t matter! Whenever someone said Jesus’ name they were proclaiming that salvation was in God the Father, and that He could grant it to whomever He wished. Whether or someone believed it or not is also irrelevant. What this does on the subconscious level is profound.
And THIS is the really good part: When people spoke to or referred to Jesus by His Hebrew birth name, people were inadvertently confessing that it is through Christ that salvation could be found!
- “Jesus said to him, I am the Way and the Truth and the Life; no one comes to the Father except by (through) Me.” (John 14:6)
- “This [Jesus] is the Stone which was despised and rejected by you, the builders, but which has become the Head of the corner [the Cornerstone]. And there is salvation in and through no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by and in which we must be saved.” (Acts 4:11-12)
What’s in a name? A lot!
His name is the Lord God Almighty – Creator of Heaven & Earth! And His Son’s name is Jesus – King of Kings and Lord of Lords!