To Ayurveda or not to Ayurveda, that is the question!
Christians regularly ask for my opinion about whether Eastern healing arts like acupuncture, yoga and Tai Chi are off limits. Are they too “New Agey?” Are they demonic? Are they safe?
I always tell them not to throw out the baby with the bath water and remember that God has inspired people from across the globe since the beginning of time to utilize natural, holistic therapies for their curative benefits. The ancient Indian healing art of Ayurveda is no exception.
About John Immel
Featured on today's show is Christian Ayurveda expert, John Immel. He directs the Joyful Belly Institute's Master of Ayurvedic Digestion 500 hour program. John is the founder of Joyful Belly, an educational Ayurvedic healthcare website, and oversees the Joyful Belly Clinic.
John studied under Dr. Vasant Lad and is specialized in the advanced treatment of digestive tract pathology. He holds a bachelor's degree in mathematics from Harvard University. He first discovered Ayurveda while working on a public health project in Bangladesh. John's interest in Ayurveda and digestive tract pathology was inspired by a complex digestive disorder acquired from years of international travel.
After witnessing Ayurveda's compelling efficiency and practical ease in treatment of his own digestive disorder, John was convinced he could help others. He sought a way to introduce Ayurvedic healing to his Appalachian mountain home and the broader American public. This was the genesis of Joyful Belly. Using ingredients familiar from his childhood, John created Joyful Belly to recast Ayurveda in the context of our American food traditions. Joyful Belly proves this treatment is accessible and necessary for everyday health & wellness. His simple, practical and familiar approach has helped thousands on their journey to health.
You can find out more at http://www.joyfulbelly.com
- 1:06 The shocking question that Dr. Eric gets on a regular basis
- 2:27 Some background on John Immel
- 4:54 John explains the basics
- 9:30 Learn about how Ayurveda uses our relationships and our experiences to food
- 14:30 Changing the conversation around food to embrace the principles of Ayurveda
- 18:49 Learn how the principles of Ayurvedic healing can aid digestion
- 23:05 Discover how to interpret what your body is telling you after you eat a meal
- 29:30 Getting back to nature and the natural principles that govern health and nutrition
- 30:40 John explains why this treatment is a fluid and dynamic protocol, not a rigid set of rules
- 33:42 Learn about how JoyfulBelly.com embraces Ayurvedic nutritional principles while still honoring Christianity
- 37:00 John's parting words of inspiration