You might think those hair products are no big deal, and you can use whatever you want on your hair because it is dead. However, a lot of hair products get rubbed into the scalp which is covered in hair follicles and oil glands that absorb products quickly into the capillaries right below the surface of the skin. Stanford University did a study where they successfully vaccinated mice by using shampoo (1) and proved that what you put on your hair does affect your health. Plus, remember that whatever is on your hair usually gets on your pillowcase that is in close contact with your skin. This natural, DIY hair gel is chemical and dye free with no synthetic fragrances.
DIY Natural Hair Gel
This DIY hair gel can be customized with woodsy scents or flowery scents by the type of essential oils used. Some essential oils that are good for hair are rosemary essential oil, peppermint essential oil, geranium essential oil, and/or tea tree essential oil.
- 1 cup hot water
- ½ to 1 teaspoon grassfed gelatin
- Essential oils of your choice
- Aloe vera gel [optional]
- Glass container
- Start with 1 cup hot water.
- Add ½ teaspoon grassfed gelatin and continue to add up to 1 teaspoon to reach the consistency you want. The more you add, the more hold the gel will have.
- Add up to 10 drops essential oil.
- Refrigerate until set.
- For additional moisture add aloe vera gel.
- Store in glass jar.
- Keep in fridge for 1-2 weeks.
Want to make some other natural hair products to go along with this DIY hair gel? Try this Shampoo and Conditioner and Hairspray!