The teacher sends home a note that says a classmate has lice. Suddenly you're searching your kid's scalp like a mad person and your own scalp starts itching too. I don't know what it is about tiny bugs, but the very thought of them hiding out in our hair can make our skin crawl! I'm asked all the time about natural lice treatment options and whether there are essential oils for lice.
The answer is yes! Essential oils for lice and persistent management of the hair and scalp combine to make a very effective natural lice treatment.
Using a Natural Treatment with Essential Oils for Lice
- 3 ounces of extra virgin olive oil
- 5 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 5 drops peppermint essential oil
- 5 drops lavender essential oil
- 5 drops lemon essential oil
- 5 drops tea tree essential oil
- 5 drops rosemary essential oil
- *If you need to substitute one of these oils, you can use geranium in its place instead.
- Enzyme treatment
- Lice comb
- Combine ingredients.
- Put hair into a ponytail or bun and saturate hair completely with the mixture. Then put a one-time-use plastic shower cap on the hair.
- Encase your pillow with plastic and also put a towel over the pillow.
- In the morning, shampoo and condition your hair, using a special terminator lice comb through the strands.
- Wipe off each comb thoroughly with a paper towel so you don’t wipe what you’ve combed out back into the hair.
- Repeat this process every night (or every other night) until the lice are gone. We usually do this process for 2 to 3 weeks.
- Twice a week, use an enzyme treatment, being sure to pick that out with a knit (Lice terminator) comb that helps to break apart their skeletal structure.
*You can use this same essential oil combination and add it to your shampoo or conditioner base, as well, as an addition to the overnight treatment. Add the essential oils to 3 oz of unscented shampoo such as Desert Essence or Fairy Tales brand.(The Fairy Tales brand is gentle, but it does have sulfates in it. So if you’re sensitive to a lot of that like I am, go for another brand.)
Need a Natural Shampoo Recipe with Essential Oils for Lice?
You can add these oils to your homemade natural shampoo for even more lice-fighting power using essential oils for lice!