A known risk factor causing metabolic syndrome, high blood pressure (hypertension) is largely preventable in spite of affecting 1 in 3 Americans. (source) Fact is, hypertension is big money because most people's health is completely out of control. By implementing some simple diet changes and adding natural solutions like essential oils into your daily regimen, you'd be surprised to see how well your blood pressure normalizes, and how cost-effective it can be.
And guess what? It doesn't have to be a chore to do! It's pretty simple and easy as making the essential oil inhaler recipe below!
Blood Pressure Reducing Oils
There are very real, documented health benefits associated with essential oils. Notably, they have positive and profound effects when it comes to reducing stress levels and helping reduce high blood pressure. Because of this, it’s not too surprising that certain essential oils and other aromatic products can be beneficial in preventing heart disease.
In 2012, Korean researchers set out to test this theory and evaluated how inhaling essential oils could benefit 83 pre-hypertensive and hypertensive patients. Creating a blend of lavender, ylang-ylang, marjoram, and neroli (20 : 15 : 10 : 2) they choose these oils because they suspected them to do the following: (source)
- Lavender – alleviate cardiac excitation, lowers BP, and is effective in hypertension and palpitations.
- Ylang-ylang – lower BP, alleviates palpitations and nervous system excitation, and promotes emotional relaxation.
- Marjoram – lower sympathetic nervous system activity and stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system, resulting in vasodilatation to reduce cardiac strain and decrease BP.
- Neroli – bring forth emotional soothing and comfort and is effective in cardiac palpitations secondary to shock or fear.
As the method of intervention, the study group was provided with an aromatherapy necklace containing an essential oil-soaked stone, while the placebo group was given a necklace with artificial fragrance. Instructed to wear the necklace during the day, they were told to place an aroma stone with two oil drops by their bedside to ensure 24-hour inhalation. Researchers discovered that by inhaling this special essential oil blend, patients were able to enjoy immediate and sustained blood pressure reduction – as well as lower stress levels!
This recipe is an adaption from that research study…
DIY Essential Oil Inhaler for High Blood Pressure
- Place cotton pad in inhaler tube.
- Add drops of essential oils directly in the tube on the cotton pad.
- Alternatively, you can drop the essential oils into a glass bowl, roll the cotton pad into the oils to absorb them, and then insert into the inhaler tube using tweezers.
- Remove cap and breathe in for 5 minutes twice a day while resting, meditating or even watching TV.
- Store in purse and be sure to have one handy at work.
Safety & Drug Interactions
Are you sure you're using essential oils safely and effectively? Are you confused by dilutions and conversions?
Let me help you by taking out the guesswork. Download my FREE dilution chart guide HERE!
When it comes to drug interactions and contraindications, there are literally textbooks devoted to the study of essential oil safety and, as a trained researcher and doctor, I think it’s important to note that there is virtually no research out there discussing how essential oils interact with drugs in long-term human clinical trials. This means that essential oil safety is still a wild frontier in the science community and no one really knows (for certain) how essential oils will interact with drugs or your body.
Nonetheless, properly diluting your essential oils is fundamental to safety and effectiveness because they are highly concentrated plant compounds. To help you along your journey, I have a created an easy-to-use dilution guide that you can download for FREE to make sure that all of your topical applications are safe and effective for the entire family.
CLICK HERE to download my free Essential Oils Dilution Chart!
As with as medicine and natural therapies, this is only a guide and be sure to discontinue use if any adverse reactions occur and consult your physician immediately.