Here's how to make a homemade shaving cream for men customized to the exact scents that you love. You don't have to go buy some expensive product to enjoy a nice smelling, soft feeling shave.
After researching and experimenting with several recipes I concluded that there are hundreds of different ways to put together a homemade shaving cream that works great. The very simplest shaving cream to make is to whip some coconut oil and add your favorite scent.
Get Ready to DIY with this Homemade Shaving Cream for Men!
The following recipe has a few other ingredients that add to the fun and health quality of the homemade shaving cream. I've suggested some amounts to get you started, but don't feel like you have to stick to them. You can vary the amounts and still get a successful product. You can also add things like aloe vera or castile soap with success. Have fun with it and try different combinations and scents until you find the combination that works best for you.
Here are some ideas for scents that most people think of as more masculine: sandalwood essential oil, eucalyptus essential oil, bay rum essential oil, peppermint essential oil, vanilla extract, orange essential oil, and clove essential oil.
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup shea butter
- ¼ cup carrier oil
- Essential oils or scent of your choice
- Melt the coconut oil, shea butter, and carrier oil together.
- Cool the mixture until soft consistency and able to be mixed.
- Use an electric mixer of your choice [stand, hand, or stick blender] to whip the mixture into stiff peaks. The amount of mixing time will change depending on how hard the mixture is.
- Add the scents while whipping. You'll need at least 10 drops of essential oil. You can stop and test it periodically on your skin to see if the smell is good.
- Store in an airtight glass container in the bathroom.
Some more Tips for You
- The homemade shaving cream does lose some of it's volume over time, but will still work just fine.
- It will last longer if you keep water out of it. So dry your hand, or use a scoop.
- Please use caution if using it in the shower because it does have a tendency to make the shower/tub floor slippery.
Safety & Drug Interactions
Are you sure you're using essential oils safely and effectively? Are you confused by dilutions and conversions?
Let me help you by taking out the guesswork. Download my FREE dilution chart guide HERE!
Some essential oils can have medication, medical condition, or even age-related contraindications. Check with the appropriate resources to determine if particular essential oils are suited for your health status before implementing the recommendations on this site. If you are not sure if something is appropriate for you, we suggest working with a qualified aromatherapist to help determine your needs in this area.
As with as medicine and natural therapies, this is only a guide and be sure to discontinue use if any adverse reactions occur and consult your physician immediately.
In the meantime, be sure that you are always diluting your essential oils the right way!
CLICK HERE to download my free Essential Oils Dilution Chart!