Giving your home a “make over” to support a new healthy lifestyle can seem daunting at first, but it shouldn't be. Learning how to be healthy is as simple as making your home & beauty products, or knowing where to get them when you don't have time to do-it-yourself!
One you get started, you'll quickly discover that:
- You need to replace many of the staple pantry items considered unsafe like white, bleached sugar and flour.
- Then you'll notice that you need new kitchen gadgets to prepare all those fresh ingredients and DIY projects on your to-do list.
- After you've made over the kitchen, you start to think about other healthy product recommendations like body care, household cleaners, laundry products and all kinds of stuff!
Rest assured that this is completely normal, so don't get stressed out about the transition. Take it all in baby-steps, focusing on the lowest hanging fruit. As you do what's easiest and most affordable to implement at first, you'll find that you can master the basics quite quickly. Then, next think you know, you're picking fruit on top of the tree that you once thought was impossible to do!
This, my friend, is all part of the adventure in how to be healthy, and our prayer is that by sharing our experience and this list of our favorite products, you'll be inspired and encouraged on your own journey.
How to Be Healthy Products by Category
While our home is far from perfectly green and clean, (we're still learning to make more and more of our own products) we're pretty proud of how far we've come.
To check out what we use, scroll down for these how to be healthy categories:
- Must Have Items
- Supplements & Natural Remedies
- When You Don't Have Time to DIY
- Our Favorite Kitchen Gadgets
- DIY & Aromatherapy Tools
- Carrier Oils & Body Care Ingredients
- Pantry Goods for a Healthy Lifestyle
- Books & Resources
How to Be Healthy Must-Have Items
Humans can live without food for a few weeks, without water for a few days and without air for just a few minutes. It's important to put things into perspective to see how absolutely vital these are to our existence, and it should motivate us to provide our bodies with the very best of what's available to us within our individual budgets. Because of this, I have found that these items are an absolute MUST if you want to minimize toxins, reduce your risk of developing disease and maintain a strong healthy profile:
- MyGreenFills – Did you know that your laundry room is one of the most toxic places in your home? Yep! There are actually 12 ingredients in most laundry products that are not only carcinogenic, they have been linked to a slew of horrible diseases. The solution is MyGreensFills – the safest, most effective natural laundry solution we have ever used. We do more than 15 loads of laundry every month and trust me when I tell you that the stuff works! My friends at MyGreenFills are giving all Dr. Z tribe members get a FREE trial worth $47! << Click HERE to try it out!>>
- Annmarie Skin Care – Your skin is a sponge, and the chemicals in conventional skin care products contain toxins that have been linked to a myriad of health conditions. My friends at Annmarie are offering $10 sample kits + $10 coupon just for the Dr. Z tribe! <<Click HERE to try it out!>>
- Wholetones Healing Frequencies Music – Using sound frequency to heal the mind and body is becoming a popular topic in the research community. Having been used for thousands of years in the form of ritual chants, this Christian-based music therapy has helped thousands of people by addressing the root cause of disease.
- Shared Health Care Coverage – If you're like me, you're completely fed up with the current health care insurance model. Thankfully, I was introduced to Samaritan Ministries (a Biblical, non-insurance approach to health care needs) a while back. I cannot begin to tell you how much of a blessing this organization has been for my family and I, and I whole-heartedly refer them to all my friends and family. Please be sure to tell them that I referred you!
- Air Purifier – Far too many people take for granted that every breath we take will either give us Abundant Life-giving gasses like nitrogen and oxygen, or fill our lungs with pollutants. Make sure you get a purifier that filters out mold and other allergens!
- Thrive Market –Thrive Market – Last, but not least is food & other DIY products you're not going to make! Thrive Market is an online membership like Costco for health lovers! All of your favorite health products in one place for a great price, delivered to your door. Super convenient! Plus, Thrive is giving all new customers $20 Off your first 3 orders because you're part of my tribe!
How to Be Healthy Supplement
Like the Bible says, “The leaves of the trees are the healing of the nations,” and we have personally experienced wonderful results when using these natural remedies and supplements to keep our family healthy and strong! There are few products I recommend in this category as we've found most supplements to be useless – riddled with harmful fillers and manufactured in such a way that your body cannot properly absorb the ingredients. Essentially, most people pee and poop their money away because they're taking supplements that are undigested!
These items, however, will not only give your body essential nutrition that you cannot get in your normal diet, they have been formulated to ensure you benefit from taking them!
- Barley Grass
- Beta Glucan
- BetaKIDS Beta Glucan Chewables
- Essential Oils (To find out how to best to choose a brand, CLICK HERE
- Flax Oil
- Green Tea Extract
- Heart to Heart Essential Amino Acids
- Lyposomal Curcumin
- Lyposomal Vitamin C
- Lyposomal Vitamin D3 +K2
- Liposomal Turmeric Extract
- Matcha Green Tea
- RAW Probiotics Women – Acidophilus and Bifidobacteria Probiotic
- Prenatal Multivitamin Supplement with Folate
- Super Colon Cleanse (Capsules)
- Super Colon Cleanse (Powder)
When You Don't Have Time to DIY
If you're like most people, you have all the best intentions in the world, but the 24 hours you have in a day just doesn't cut it sometimes when you're trying to be Super Dad & Wonder Mom. When you're under a time-cruch and can't make all of your home and body products by hand, these are some good items you can trust. This is where your Thrive Market Membership will come handy – plus, the prices are great!
- Annmarie Skin Care ($10 sample kits + $10 coupon for Dr. Z fans!)
- Herbal Foot Salve
- Herbal Salve (Ancient Soother)
- Herbal Salve (Balm of Gilead)
- Herbal Salve (Calendula Comfrey )
Products on Amazon
- Baby Hair Conditioner
- Baby Powder
- Baby Shampoo & Body Wash
- Body Wash – African Black Soap
- Kid-Friendly Lice Prevention Shampoo & Conditioner
- Kid-Friendly Lice Prevention Conditioning Spray
- Lotion – Frankincene & Myrrh
- Lotion – Shea Butter
- Shampoo (Aubrey's Organics)
- Soap – Bar
- Soap – Liquid (Black Soap
- Soap – Liquid (Unscented)
- Soap – All-Purpose (Kids)
- Witch Hazel Toner (Alcohol-free)
Products at Thrive
- Baby Wash (Earth Mama Angel Baby)
- Conditioner (Desert Essence)
- Hair Styling (Giovanni)
- Shampoo (Desert Essence)
- Soap – Bar (Auromere Ayurvedic Products, Dr. Bronner's & Nubian Heritage)
- Soap – Liquid (Dr. Bronner's)
- Toothpaste (Auromere Ayurvedic Products, Dr. Bronner's, Redmond Clay
If you've read Mama Z's Kitchen Makeover Guide you know we have some food allergies and health concerns that require we're a little extra picky about our ingredients. My wife has created this list of healthy substitutions for every day pantry items. From gluten free flour to dark chocolate chips, you'll be baking healthy goodies in no time!
How to Be Healthy Pantry Goods
- All Purpose Gluten Free Flour
- Almond Butter
- Almond Flour
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Baking Powder – aluminum free
- Baking Soda
- Bragg Liquid Aminos
- Bulletproof Coffee
- Cacoa Powder
- Chia Seeds
- Coconut Flour
- Coconut Milk (Native Forest – Organic, Unsweetened)
- Coconut Sugar/Crystals
- Egg Replacer
- Enjoy Life Mini Chips – dairy-free, gluten-free, and soy-free
- Flax Meal
- Gluten Free Quick Oats
- Grade C Maple Syrup
- Lilly's Dark Chocolate Chips – vegan
- Liquid Stevia
- Manuka Honey
- Mason Jars for Storage
- Mayonnaise (Avocado Oil)
- Organic Coconut Oil
- Organic Fair Trade Sugar
- Organic Vanilla Bean Powder
- Pink Himalayan Salt
- Powdered Stevia
- Psyllium Husk Fiber
- Ujido Matcha Green Tea
- Vanilla Liquid Stevia
- Vegetable Boullion
When you're using fresh produce in your recipes, baking your own bread, and making your own juice you'll want some high quality kitchen tools! We love these particular small appliances and gadgets and have found multiple uses for each!
How to Be Healthy Kitchen Gadgets
- Citrus Juicer
- Food Processor
- Immersion Blender
- Juicer – small
- Juicer – large
- Juicer – option 2
- Loaf Pans
- Magic Bullet
So, you're using pure essential oils and you're ready to start making some of your own DIY body care products! You want to be as careful about your carrier oils and other ingredients as you are with your essential oils. These are some of our personal favorites.
How to Be Healthy DIY Ingredients
- All-Purpose Carrier Oil
- Apricot Kernel Oil
- Argan Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Camellia Seed Oil
- Carrot Seed Oil
- Evening Primrose
- Fractionated Coconut Oil
- Grapeseed Oil
- Hazelnut Oil
- Hemp Seed Oil
- Jojoba Oil
- Meadowfoam Oil
- Sweet Almond Oil
- Sunflower Oil (Organic)
- Aloe Vera Gel (fresh frozen, 100% organic and pure)
- Aloe Vera Gel (99.75% organic and pure)
- Bath Crystals
- Bayberry Wax
- Bentonite Clay
- Candelilla Wax
- Dr. Bronner's Liquid Castile Soap
- Epsom Salt
- Guar Gum
- Kokum Butter
- Mango Butter
- Shea Butter – unrefined
- Vegetable Glycerin
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin A
- Yellow Beeswax
- Zinc Oxide Powder
We're asked a lot about our favorite essential oils diffuser and the bottles, jars, and dispensers we talk about in our DIY recipes. This list is a compilation of some of our most-used items!
How to Be Healthy Aromatherapy Tools
Dr. Z's Abundant Life Store – Our USB ultrasonic diffuser is the coolest thing, and all of our products are designed in Belgium. This gives ous products a sophisticated “Euro” look and you're going to fall in love with ous diffusers, wraps, cases and necklaces!
- Amber Glass Essential Oil Bottle – 5 ml
- Amber Glass Vials – 5/8 Dram
- Cobalt Glass Bottles with Pump Tops – 4oz
- Cobalt Glass Bottles with Stainless Steel Pumps – 8oz
- Cobalt Glass pump Bottle with Chalkboard Labels – 8oz
- Coloring – Brown (Cinnamon Powder)
- Coloring – Light Bronze (Turmeric Powder)
- Coloring – Red (Beet Powder)
- Diffuser Reeds
- Enteric Coated Capsules
- Essential Oil Aromaclay
- Essential Oil Aromatherapy Wraps
- Essential Oil Diffusers
- Essential Oils Carrying Cases
- Essential Oil Pillow Pets
- Glass Eye Dropper
- Glass Foaming Soap Dispenser Pump
- Glass Jar – 4oz
- Glass Roller Bottle – 1/8 ounce
- Glass Roller Bottle – 5ml
- Glass Salve Jar – 2oz
- Glass Spray Bottle – 2oz
- Glass Spray Bottle – 4oz
- Glass Spray Bottle – 16oz
- Inhaler Tubes
- Locking Amber Spray Bottle
- Mason Jar Foaming Soap Dispenser Top
- Mason Jars for Storage
How to Be Healthy Books & Resources
As you grow in your understanding of how to be healthy, your library will certainly grow with you! It's exciting to see all of the books that are available to us today, but things can get quickly overwhelming for the beginner. To help narrow down the vast selection, here are some favorites that will prove to be valuable resources to help you master all 7 Key Areas of the Abundant Life.
Living a balanced life in all 7 areas is the true definition of “Biblical Health!”
- Spiritual Abundance – Having a thriving relationship with your Creator.
- Physical Abundance – Maintaining a strong, healthy body.
- Mental Abundance – Being intellectually sound and having the Mind of Christ.
- Emotional Abundance – Being at peace and enjoying a balance of healthy feelings.
- Financial Abundance – Having enough to provide for your family and to be BIG givers.
- Occupational Abundance – Truly enjoying the work of your hands.
- Social Abundance – Fostering deep, mutually beneficial relationships with friends, family and people that you encounter every day.
- The Truth About Essential Oils and Cancer
- Heal Your Gut With Essential Oils
- Using God's Medicine for the Abundant Life: An Evidence-Based Approach to Essential Oils
- Beat Cancer God's Way
- FREE Essential Oils Club
- Essential Oils Club Inner Circle
- Essential Oils Revolution
- Essential Oils Revolution 2
- Heal Your Gut Summit
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Miracle Health System
- Bragg Back Fitness Program
- Bragg Healthy Lifestyle: Vital Living to 120!
- Build Powerful Nerve Force: Cure for the Dull Dragged-Out Hopeless, Helpless Life
- Build Strong Healthy Feet: Banish Aches & Pains
- Healthy Heart: Keep Your Cardiovascular System Healthy & Fit at Any Age
- Super Power Breathing: For Super Energy, High Health & Longevity
- The Miracle of Fasting: Proven Throughout History for Physical, Mental, & Spiritual Rejuvenation
- Vegetarian Health Recipes: For Super Energy & Long Life to 120!
- Water: The Shocking Truth That can Save Your Life
A – Z Health Resources
- Bible Cure Series (Don Colbert, MD)
- Essential Oil Safety: A Guide for Health Care Professions 2nd Edition
- Food Allergies and Food Intolerance: The Complete Guide to Their Identification and Treatment
- Pat Crocker's Recipe and DIY Series (Including How to Preserve, Healing Herbs, Juicing Bible, Smoothie Bible, etc.)
- Prescription for Nutrition Healing
- The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy
- The Encyclopedia of Medical Breakthroughs and Forbidden Treatments
- The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
- Truth About Cancer: The Quest for the Cure
Other Biblical Health Resources
- Dr. Z's Morning Refill: One-Minute Pick-Me-Up for the Soul Devotional
- Dave Ramsey's Complete Guide to Money: The Handbook of Financial Peace University
- How to Win Friends and Influence People
- My Utmost for His Highest
- Power of Prayer Series (Stormie Omartian)
- Supernatural Childbirth
- The Bait of Satan, 20th Anniversary Edition: Living Free from the Deadly Trap of Offense
- The Bondage Breaker®: Overcoming *Negative Thoughts *Irrational Feelings *Habitual Sins
- The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
- The Power of Positive Thinking
- Torrey's How to Pray
- Torrey's New Topical Textbook
- Torrey's The Power of Prayer
- Victory Over the Darkness: Realize the Power of Your Identity in Christ
Safety & Drug Interactions
Are you sure you're using essential oils safely and effectively? Are you confused by dilutions and conversions?
Let me help you by taking out the guesswork. Download my FREE dilution chart guide HERE!
Some essential oils can have medication, medical condition, or even age-related contraindications. Check with the appropriate resources to determine if particular essential oils are suited for your health status before implementing the recommendations on this site. If you are not sure if something is appropriate for you, we suggest working with a qualified aromatherapist to help determine your needs in this area.
As with as medicine and natural therapies, this is only a guide and be sure to discontinue use if any adverse reactions occur and consult your physician immediately.
In the meantime, be sure that you are always diluting your essential oils the right way!
CLICK HERE to download my free Essential Oils Dilution Chart!