Although we eat a gluten-free diet, we still love Italian food. My homemade spaghetti sauce makes eating gluten-free delicious. The below recipe can be made using grass-fed beef or as a vegetarian dish by replacing the meat with spinach.
- 1 (16-ounce) package gluten-free spaghetti
- 1 pound ground meat (grass-fed beef or turkey) OR 1 pound spinach (optional)
- 1 medium onion or 1½ tablespoon dried onion
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 (28-ounce) can organic Roma or garden fresh tomatoes
- 1 (28-ounce) can organic Italian spiced or garden fresh tomatoes
- 1 small can organic tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Handful of organic carrots or beets
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper, finely ground
- Fresh chopped or dried basil, oregano, parsley & thyme to taste
- If using meat, brown 1 pound of ground meat and set aside. Brown onion and garlic in extra-virgin olive oil. If using meat then combine it back with the onion and garlic back in the pan. Blend both cans of tomatoes or the fresh tomatoes from the garden with the can of tomato paste, red wine, carrots, and/or beets. (You will need to do this in 1-2 parts depending on the size of your blender).
- Cook for a while to evaporate all the alcohol from the wine. This will help your sauce not be acidic. Add 1 large bay leaf, maple syrup, sea salt, pepper and herbs to taste.
- Prepare your gluten-free pasta by heating the water to boiling with sea salt. Add pasta and some olive oil to prevent sticking. Cook until the minimum cooking time is reached and then shut the burner off for a few more minutes. Then drain off liquid and place plain spaghetti back in pot with some olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Once meal is completed, put plain pasta in container with olive oil. Reheat in hot liquid.
I have been known to make this homemade spaghetti sauce when hosting guests or preparing a meal to deliver to a new mom.
What is your favorite ingredient to add to your spaghetti sauce?