I stumbled upon this Southern Sweet Potato salad recipe by a pure glimpse of Holy Spirit inspiration. Frantically prepping a feast for some friends and family, I only had 1/2 the amount of potatoes that my normal recipe called for and didn't have time to run to the store. Not knowing what to do, I asked God for some help and glanced over and saw that I had some leftover sweet potatoes from our garden that we didn't use yet.
And the inspiration hit me! Mix the sweet potatoes with my normal recipe. And guess what? EVERYONE loved it! Praise Jesus for caring about the “little” things!
Since then, I always mix different kinds of potatoes when I make potato salad and yams/sweet potatoes give this traditional favorite that special touch of natural, tasty sweetness.
Try it out and let me know what you think!
Southern Potato Salad Recipe
- 6 organic, free-range eggs
- 5 red potatoes and 5 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 cup Veganaise ® grapeseed oil or mayonnaise
- 1 pickle, diced
- 1⁄3 cup dill or sweet pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons prepared honey or yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon celery seed
- Dried dill to garnish
- Paprika to garnish
- Place the eggs into a saucepan in a single layer and fill with water to cover the eggs by 1-inch.
- Cover the saucepan and bring the water to a boil over high heat.
- Remove from the heat and let the eggs stand in the hot water for 15 minutes.
- Pour out the hot water; cool the eggs under cold running water in the sink and put in ice cubes.
- Peel and chop the cooled eggs with an egg slicer.
- Slice them in both direction to create dices.
- Place the potatoes into a large pot and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Drain and refrigerate until cold.
- Peel and cube once cold.
- Stir together celery, Veganaise ® grapeseed oil or mayonnaise, pickle, relish, mustard, sea salt, pepper, dill, paprika, and celery seed in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs and potatoes; stir until everything is evenly mixed.
- Place in serving bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
What's your favorite potato salad recipe? Let me know if you try this one!
Here are some more of our favorite side dishes for you to try!